You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Forum

Grace Dent
Moderators: Admin, Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Big Brother & OthersMessage format

premierscfc
Posted 10/6/2008 20:19 (#29283 - in reply to #29282)
Subject: RE: Grace Dent

Julian - 10/6/2008 20:16 Well, I disagree about Mario and Lisa being only together for BB. We've already seen he's not that good an actor Regards Julian

The first Rocky film was ok though.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Julian
Posted 10/6/2008 23:58 (#29289 - in reply to #29283)

Executive Member

premierscfc - 10/6/2008 20:19

Julian - 10/6/2008 20:16 Well, I disagree about Mario and Lisa being only together for BB. We've already seen he's not that good an actor Regards Julian

The first Rocky film was ok though.  

Lol - Good one
secrethousemate
Posted 16/6/2008 13:36 (#29363 - in reply to #17089)
Subject: Re: Grace Dent

Somebody I work with knows Grace Dent through a friend of a friend and attended a wedding that she was at. Apparently she was showing all the girls how to pose professionally. Plus I'm told she looked anorexic when she was younger, and she was a right gossip at school. Make of that what you will :-)

ofni
Posted 17/6/2008 11:47 (#29373 - in reply to #17089)

Here's Grace d's bio on the Channel4 BB website. I know she was an Aisleyne supporter, but did she really say that Ash was a "feminist icon" as well as Paul Morley?

http://www.channel4.com/bigbrother/housemates/profile.jsp?housemate...

Edited by ofni 17/6/2008 11:49
premierscfc
Posted 17/6/2008 12:03 (#29374 - in reply to #29373)

ofni - 17/6/2008 11:47 Here's Grace d's bio on the Channel4 BB website. I know she was an Aisleyne supporter, but did she really say that Ash was a "feminist icon" as well as Paul Morley? http://www.channel4.com/bigbrother/housemates/profile.jsp?housemate...

I can only remember Paul Morley saying it.  Grace was good reading though during BB7 if you were an Aisleyne supporter as she was probably the first commentator to actually show her some support. 

ofni
Posted 17/6/2008 12:17 (#29375 - in reply to #17089)

Yes indeed.

And who could have predicted during BB7 that 2 years down the line they would both be Screenwipe regulars AND fellow BB bloggers?
premierscfc
Posted 24/6/2008 17:29 (#29486 - in reply to #17089)

Here's Grace Dents latest thoughts on BB9

Part 1

Part 2  

bradley27
Posted 24/6/2008 18:11 (#29487 - in reply to #17089)

Senate Member

its just a shame she now has to peddled the Channel 4 line. It rather ruins it
premierscfc
Posted 24/6/2008 18:15 (#29489 - in reply to #29487)

bradley27 - 24/6/2008 18:11 its just a shame she now has to peddled the Channel 4 line. It rather ruins it

What is the Channel 4 line this series? 

bradley27
Posted 24/6/2008 19:25 (#29490 - in reply to #29489)

Senate Member

premierscfc - 24/6/2008 18:15

bradley27 - 24/6/2008 18:11 its just a shame she now has to peddled the Channel 4 line. It rather ruins it

no criticism of the production team.
defending Alex last week
building up the love triangle between Jen Dale and Stu, just like Chavina did on the live show
Finally having a go at Rachael, which she would never have done before
ofni
Posted 24/6/2008 19:49 (#29491 - in reply to #17089)

Well she seems to be pretty much her usual funny, waspish self.

Surely what is more significant, though, and especially with Grace going twice weekly on C4, is that there is now only ONE, DAILY, truly INDEPENDENT, BB blog ....

Edited by ofni 24/6/2008 19:50
premierscfc
Posted 24/6/2008 19:52 (#29492 - in reply to #29490)

bradley27 - 24/6/2008 19:25

no criticism of the production team. defending Alex last week building up the love triangle between Jen Dale and Stu, just like Chavina did on the live show Finally having a go at Rachael, which she would never have done before

What criticism of the production team was needed. I assume you must mean the vetting of the contestants. They supposed to use psychologists to profile the contestants. Psychologists seem to be the accepted way to go but I personally think psychology is a waste of time and is a subject for students not intelligent enough to study for a proper career.

The love triangle was still very much on topic on last nights live feed (it was all that Dale and Jen were talking about) and she wrote about it.  Perhaps she should ignore it and write about stuff that is not happening.

As for Rachael there are plenty of people posting on DS saying exactly the same about her so have they sold out as well.

Saying anything positive about Alex is hardly selling out. What is the "company line" on Alex. If Alex was the C4 chosen one she would have been evicted last Friday and not thrown out.

The time we will find out if Grace Dent has sold out will be once BB have decided who there Brian Belo or Glyn Wise is and she either agrees or disagrees. Until then she is innocent until proven guilty.

Julian
Posted 24/6/2008 21:27 (#29495 - in reply to #29492)

Executive Member

If anything, I think Grace is trying too much to buck the party line. She started off believing that Mario and Lisa weren't a real couple despite Channel 4 never suggesting anything of the sort. She had to retract that a week later on BBLB.

Then she suggested that Alex may not have been all bad and might need to hang around longer just days before BB chucked her out.

Now she's saying that Jen isn't into Dale one day after a highlight show showing them hugging (with clear sounds of their hearts racing) and the very next News item to hers on the website is a report of Jennifer telling Dale that she plans on having him in her life for a long time to come!

Personally I think it's where she doesn't follow channel 4 that she keeps getting it wrong

Regards

Julian
bradley27
Posted 24/6/2008 23:38 (#29501 - in reply to #29492)

Senate Member

premierscfc - 24/6/2008 19:52

no criticism of the production team. defending Alex last week building up the love triangle between Jen Dale and Stu, just like Chavina did on the live show Finally having a go at Rachael, which she would never have done before

What criticism of the production team was needed. I assume you must mean the vetting of the contestants. They supposed to use psychologists to profile the contestants. Psychologists seem to be the accepted way to go but I personally think psychology is a waste of time and is a subject for students not intelligent enough to study for a proper career.

The love triangle was still very much on topic on last nights live feed (it was all that Dale and Jen were talking about) and she wrote about it.  Perhaps she should ignore it and write about stuff that is not happening.

As for Rachael there are plenty of people posting on DS saying exactly the same about her so have they sold out as well.

Saying anything positive about Alex is hardly selling out. What is the "company line" on Alex. If Alex was the C4 chosen one she would have been evicted last Friday and not thrown out.

The time we will find out if Grace Dent has sold out will be once BB have decided who there Brian Belo or Glyn Wise is and she either agrees or disagrees. Until then she is innocent until proven guilty.

but I think she is guilty. She has sold her BB soul and its a shame. She would constantly be referring to the mistakes the BB production team did, can you really see her doing it this year. As for Alex, yes it was a question of towing the party line. she would never have spoken up for Alex, like she didnt for Charlie last year. But they wanted to lessen the effect on Alex going with the crowds waiting for her, until they got the excuse (rightly) to get her out early.

As for the love triangle, of course some people are talking about it on the forums, thats the whole idea of putting it into the minds of the viewers in the first place. Davina said the party line (as she did the first week with mario and lisa, which was completely wrong) and good old company worker Grace has continued it in her blog.

Its just a shame but she sold out and took the money. You cant write objectively from within.

Edited by bradley27 24/6/2008 23:40
Julian
Posted 25/6/2008 00:12 (#29502 - in reply to #29501)

Executive Member

bradley27 - 24/6/2008 23:38
As for Alex, yes it was a question of towing the party line. she would never have spoken up for Alex, like she didnt for Charlie last year. But they wanted to lessen the effect on Alex going with the crowds waiting for her, until they got the excuse (rightly) to get her out early.

I'm sorry but I think that's a bit of a reach. I don't think the producers couold possibly be foolish enough to think that a single opinion voiced by someone on a BB website (which only a fraction of the BB viewers actually read) would have the slightest affect on the baying mob that is the BB audition crowd!

There were parts of Alex's character that showed a certain vulnerability and a softer side and I have no doubt in my mind that Grace was talking for herself when she relaxed her attack on her.

I don't remember Davina saying anything about Mario and Lisa being fake but every news article and highlight show went out of its way to show the complete opposite so I really can't see how you can say that Grace was following the party line by suggesting that they weren't really an item. BB had explicitly stated that they had been together for three years so how can it have been the party line to suggest otherwise? More importantly, what possible reason would C4 have had for taking that line?

I've never been one for BB conspiracy theories and I really don't see anything wrong with Grace's blogs. There are things I don't agree with (and there have been in previous years as well) but she still has a terrific way with words which makes reading them thoroughly enjoyable regardless of whether I agree with them or not.

Regards

Julian
bradley27
Posted 25/6/2008 08:10 (#29503 - in reply to #29502)

Senate Member

Julian - 25/6/2008 00:12

As for Alex, yes it was a question of towing the party line. she would never have spoken up for Alex, like she didnt for Charlie last year. But they wanted to lessen the effect on Alex going with the crowds waiting for her, until they got the excuse (rightly) to get her out early.

I'm sorry but I think that's a bit of a reach. I don't think the producers couold possibly be foolish enough to think that a single opinion voiced by someone on a BB website (which only a fraction of the BB viewers actually read) would have the slightest affect on the baying mob that is the BB audition crowd!

There were parts of Alex's character that showed a certain vulnerability and a softer side and I have no doubt in my mind that Grace was talking for herself when she relaxed her attack on her.

I don't remember Davina saying anything about Mario and Lisa being fake but every news article and highlight show went out of its way to show the complete opposite so I really can't see how you can say that Grace was following the party line by suggesting that they weren't really an item. BB had explicitly stated that they had been together for three years so how can it have been the party line to suggest otherwise? More importantly, what possible reason would C4 have had for taking that line?

I've never been one for BB conspiracy theories and I really don't see anything wrong with Grace's blogs. There are things I don't agree with (and there have been in previous years as well) but she still has a terrific way with words which makes reading them thoroughly enjoyable regardless of whether I agree with them or not.

Regards

Julian

but it isnt just a single voice. Davina also praised Alex on her video thingy. I dont have a problem with that in the case of Alex as they have to protect these people. As horrid as Alex was, they have to protect them as they havent done anything illegal and they owe them a duty of care. Thats why they try and put those points across as well as seizing the opportunity to get her out when they could.
premierscfc
Posted 25/6/2008 09:50 (#29504 - in reply to #29501)

premierscfc - 24/6/2008 19:52

The love triangle was still very much on topic on last nights live feed (it was all that Dale and Jen were talking about) and she wrote about it. Perhaps she should ignore it and write about stuff that is not happening.

but I think she is guilty. She has sold her BB soul and its a shame. She would constantly be referring to the mistakes the BB production team did, can you really see her doing it this year. As for Alex, yes it was a question of towing the party line. she would never have spoken up for Alex, like she didnt for Charlie last year. But they wanted to lessen the effect on Alex going with the crowds waiting for her, until they got the excuse (rightly) to get her out early. As for the love triangle, of course some people are talking about it on the forums, thats the whole idea of putting it into the minds of the viewers in the first place. Davina said the party line (as she did the first week with mario and lisa, which was completely wrong) and good old company worker Grace has continued it in her blog. Its just a shame but she sold out and took the money. You cant write objectively from within.

Who mentioned that the love triangle is being talked about on the forums. I said it was all over the TV screen. Anybody who is doing a blog and not mentioning the love triangle would be a poor blogger. All we had on the live feed at night on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday was the "Love Triangle/Square".

I mentioned people questioning wether Rachel is what she seems to be is being discussed on the forums, not just by Grace Dent. Is Grace Dent following "company policy " with that opinion because I don't see Channel 4 trying to paint Rachel as a villain. Grace seems to be off message again if she is supposed to be following company policy.

As far as I am concerned the jury is still out on wether Grace Dent has sold out and therefore she is innocent until proven guilty.

I would also like to say that so far this series BB do not seem to be shoving any particular housemate down our throats like they did with Glyn Wise, Brian Belo. I would have thought they would have favoured Luke as he seems to fit the profile of the one they normally back but they showed Rachel's nomination of him and Darnell outing him when that could quite easily have been edited out of the highlights. The live feed has far less planes landing and birds tweeting than it has had for a few series now and it has been quite surprising some of the things that we have heard on the live feed (BB8 was awful for that). They could have quite easily interfered with this weeks nominations and stopped whoever they wanted from nominating as nearly all of them have done enough to be judged as breaking the rules regarding discussing nominations but we have the ones the housemates wanted up being the ones up for eviction I would have been a lot happier if we had this attitude from the producers in BB7. All in all I think Endemol have done OK so far with BB9 and maybe they have taken onboard some of the criticism they have recived in the past, they still have time to stuff it up but so far so good.

footnote: I am not on the payroll at C4 and have not sold these are just my opinions.

bradley27
Posted 25/6/2008 10:09 (#29506 - in reply to #29504)

Senate Member

premierscfc - 25/6/2008 09:50

footnote: I am not on the payroll at C4 and have not sold these are just my opinions.

yeah you say that, but you are hardly going to admit it.

Anyway, your jury might be out, but mine has come back and given its verdict and one important thing to remember is "I'm never wrong".... so there

Edited by bradley27 25/6/2008 10:10
bradley27
Posted 25/6/2008 10:23 (#29507 - in reply to #29504)

Senate Member

premierscfc - 25/6/2008 09:50
Who mentioned that the love triangle is being talked about on the forums. I said it was all over the TV screen. Anybody who is doing a blog and not mentioning the love triangle would be a poor blogger. All we had on the live feed at night on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday was the "Love Triangle/Square

You cant seriously expect me to read your post properly can you?

Sorry mis-read what you wrote, I blame tiredness.
bradley27
Posted 15/7/2008 16:32 (#29811 - in reply to #17089)

Senate Member

anyone who doesnt think Grace Dent has sold her soul should read this weeks offering. It might as well have been writing by the production team. This is not the Grace Dent of old, just the Grace Dent of following the party line. Shame
premierscfc
Posted 15/7/2008 16:46 (#29812 - in reply to #17089)

I think her blog is pretty accurate.  She says there is no future in Beccy/Luke, she slates Dale, takes the mickey out of Lisa, likes Rex and detests Mikey.  That seems to be pretty much how I see things as well.
Julian
Posted 15/7/2008 18:21 (#29813 - in reply to #29811)

Executive Member

bradley27 - 15/7/2008 16:32

anyone who doesnt think Grace Dent has sold her soul should read this weeks offering. It might as well have been writing by the production team. This is not the Grace Dent of old, just the Grace Dent of following the party line. Shame

I agree with premierpfc, I really don't understand this sell-out idea at all. It seems to me as though you don't agree with her and, therefore, consider her to be selling out but, as far as I'm concerned, I'm agreeing with her opinions just as much as I ever did.

If some of her observations happen to coincide with Davina's opinions or George and Zezi's opinions then I would say that the only thing it shows is that there's a concensus of opinion. I've seen plenty of occasions where there is no concensus. For example, George clearly believes Bex and Luke's kiss was designed to save Bex from eviction whereas Davina believes it's real and that there could be a real romance. Grace doesn't believe either of these scenarios. She actually goes for a different scenario, which is that the kiss was real but that no romance is ever going to come of it due to Bex's indifference. This happens to coincide exactly with the way I see it so she gets a thumbs up from me on that one

Perhaps if you could explain a specific opinion you have an issue with it might help me understand where you're coming from

Regards

Julian

Edited by Julian 15/7/2008 18:23
Julian
Posted 15/7/2008 18:30 (#29814 - in reply to #29812)

Executive Member

premierscfc - 15/7/2008 16:46

I think her blog is pretty accurate.  She says there is no future in Beccy/Luke, she slates Dale, takes the mickey out of Lisa, likes Rex and detests Mikey.  That seems to be pretty much how I see things as well.

She does seem to like Lisa, though. She doesn't think Maysoon deserves to be on the heavenly side while house-mother Lisa is on the hell side.

Grace wasn't sure why Rex would want to be in the house. I heard Rex say on live-streaming one night that the reason he wanted to do BB was to try to get over his obsession with being in control. He feels he is too controlling and jealous of his girlfriend and is hoping that his time in the house will help him to let go a bit.

I must say, the way he explained his treatment of his girlfriend was not good. I get the feeling he's suppressing his nasty side quite a bit in the house - painting vandalism aside

Regards

Julian
bradley27
Posted 16/7/2008 00:50 (#29826 - in reply to #17089)

Senate Member

Its not the opinions that are the main problem, there is a completely different style and there is no way she would have written like that in previous years. She would not have defended Alex when she did and this week it was quite ridiculous the way she followed the script about Luke and Bex, even though their behaviour has been terrible. She is simply following what shes told to follow. It really isnt hard to see. Even her criticism of Maysoon isnt like her normal self. She would have stuck up for her in the past. Also there hasnt been a single word about the production. I think someone posted a very good article on DS today about how they influence their writers, but its not as if its not obvious with Grace. Its a completely different style. She took the money and lost her objectivity. Please read this and the article banned by BB itself:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2002/jul/16/newmedia.bigbrother

Charlie Brooker may work for a subsiduary of Endemol but at least he manages to keep impartial.
bradley27
Posted 16/7/2008 00:51 (#29827 - in reply to #29812)

Senate Member

premierscfc - 15/7/2008 16:46

its not who or what she supports, its how its written
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread