You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Forum

The Big Brother concern (my blog entry)
Moderators: Admin, Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Aisleyne -> General Aisleyne ChatMessage format

selfdelusion
Posted 9/9/2008 19:57 (#30631)
Subject: The Big Brother concern (my blog entry)

Hi everyone,

I'm admittedly something of a lurker here, so this is one of my first posts. I wrote a blog entry a while ago, detailing some of my concerns about Big Brother. Even though I've been a fan in the past, it's always disconcerting how psychologically dangerous it can sometimes become (at all stages - auditon process, pre-briefing, editing during the show highlights, post-briefing, etc.). One of the textbook examples of biased editing seemed to occur the most during the seventh series and I've referenced Aisleyne as an example. A fair few people have commented/given feedback on it. My first degree is in Psychology, incidentally.

First part:
http://chrisnicholson.typepad.com/selfdeluded/2008/07/spitting-imag...

Second part:
http://chrisnicholson.typepad.com/selfdeluded/2008/08/courtroom-rea...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
emptybox
Posted 9/9/2008 23:33 (#30633 - in reply to #30631)
Subject: RE: The Big Brother concern (my blog entry)

That certainly struck a chord.

I remember feeling exactly the same about the choreography task that you mentioned.
I happened to watch the live feed that day and was astounded by the different slant it was given on the highlights show. I think they even messed with the sequence of events.

I vowed never to vote again after BB7, but unfortunately I got sucked in again this year to support Rachel.

premierscfc
Posted 10/9/2008 13:39 (#30634 - in reply to #30631)

That particular Sunday's live feed was so badly edited against Aisleyne in the highlights show. The highlights show made Aisleyne look like a right stroppy madam when the truth of the matter was that she was a multi-tasking superhero cooking a roast dinner and learning the dance routine at the same time.

I don't know what BB is supposed to be now.  It's no longer a psychological experiment and if it has become a gameshow then it's a rigged gameshow.  A gameshow should have a level playing field but BB is like a quizshow with one team being given the answers by the producers.  I do feel BB has run its course.  Each series seems to have lower viewing figures than the last series as the public lose interest and it seems inevitable that it will come to an end.

Julian
Posted 10/9/2008 13:42 (#30635 - in reply to #30633)

Executive Member

Fascinating stuff
secrethousemate
Posted 10/9/2008 16:12 (#30637 - in reply to #30631)
Subject: Re: The Big Brother concern (my blog entry)

Well written articles. Another Guardian reader showing support for Ash, too!

Channel 4 are just chasing ratings with BB now. That's why it went to 13 weeks for Ash's series. Its a rather unsubtle way of keeping advertisers happy, but the trend now is looking irreversible for lower and lower audiences. Plus I think Channel 4 has a public service remit so they may find it increasingly hard to justify giving over large chunks of their schedule to one programme if it can't deliver the audiences it used to in the early days.

selfdelusion
Posted 10/9/2008 20:35 (#30640 - in reply to #30631)

Cheers for the feedback, I knew I wasn't hallucinating about that live feed on Sunday.
boldjohn
Posted 10/9/2008 21:28 (#30642 - in reply to #30631)

Executive Member

selfdelusion - 9/9/2008 19:57 Hi everyone, I'm admittedly something of a lurker here, so this is one of my first posts. I wrote a blog entry a while ago, detailing some of my concerns about Big Brother. Even though I've been a fan in the past, it's always disconcerting how psychologically dangerous it can sometimes become (at all stages - auditon process, pre-briefing, editing during the show highlights, post-briefing, etc.). One of the textbook examples of biased editing seemed to occur the most during the seventh series and I've referenced Aisleyne as an example. A fair few people have commented/given feedback on it. My first degree is in Psychology, incidentally. First part: http://chrisnicholson.typepad.com/selfdeluded/2008/07/spitting-imag... Second part: http://chrisnicholson.typepad.com/selfdeluded/2008/08/courtroom-reali.html

Excellent articles and absolutely spot on with points raised. I have always been a fan of the Big Brother concept. After the events of BB7 discussed in your articles, I felt that I could no longer watch Big Brother, and I certainly would never be voting again. I have kept up with BB9 via forums and blogs. I started to take particular notice when the problems of biased editing and presenting were repeatedly complained about by respected FMs. The scale of complaints have forced me to take a look at a few clips to see it for myself: especially the coverage of final night. I was shocked at the manner in which the winner of BB9 was treated. Davina Mcall was repeatedly expressing her shock and almost disbelief that someone like Rachel could have been voted as the winner. The biased editing used against Aisleyne mirrors that used against Rachel. The difference between BB7 and BB9 appears to be that the public are possibly starting to see through the bias, which could explain Rachel's victory.

Edited by emptybox 11/9/2008 00:55
dal1966
Posted 19/10/2008 22:37 (#30941 - in reply to #30631)

After the way Rachel was treated by Davina on the final night, i have had enough of Davina McCall and her bias for nasty, backstabbing housemates. (Luke and Becks).
I feal it is time for a real change now, Davina has to go. She clearly does not understand how the show works and she presents it.
She was equally biased against Aisleyne on BB7.

Faker # 1154
Julian
Posted 19/10/2008 23:49 (#30943 - in reply to #30941)

Executive Member

dal1966 - 19/10/2008 22:37

After the way Rachel was treated by Davina on the final night, i have had enough of Davina McCall and her bias for nasty, backstabbing housemates. (Luke and Becks).
I feal it is time for a real change now, Davina has to go. She clearly does not understand how the show works and she presents it.
She was equally biased against Aisleyne on BB7.

Faker # 1154

I don't think Davina is particularly biased. I think there's a policy to put as much as possible of the criticisms previously levelled at a contestant to that contestant so that they get the opportunity to address those criticisms in their own words and set the record straight. I think that's actually a good thing for the housemates. Plus, as many people complain when she doesn't ask the difficult questions that they believe should be asked as complain that she shouldn't be asking them. Often the same people!

It's true that Davina has her favourites and sometimes lets us know it. She's human and she's going to have her own opinions. This year there was a policy of posting a large number of different celebrity opinions on the website including Davina's so it was obvious that she was not required to hide her opinions this year.

While I might hope that everyone would share my opinion about people I don't hold it against them if they don't. Davina may have different priorities in a housemate when it comes to Luke and Bex or may have misread Aisleyne but I don't believe she deliberately sets out to prejudice the puiblic in any particular direction. I think the public are quite capable of making up their own minds and I'm sure she knows that.

Regards

Julian
dal1966
Posted 20/10/2008 00:00 (#30944 - in reply to #30941)

The problem was not only with Davina on the final night but also with the male presenter of the podcast internet radio show big ears. The things he was saying about Rachel was unbelievable. He's words were on the line of Rachel, how did she win.
He was extremely rude and desrespectful. So the problem is not just only with Davina the problem seems to be with everybody that is connected with the show.
I complained along with many thousands of other people to channel 4 , but the response that we all got back was one carefully drafted document. The reply was a complete joke, in simple terms it basicly said that thay did not want to know.
I'm not surprised that they are losing viewers every year.

Faker # 1154
Julian
Posted 20/10/2008 12:16 (#30946 - in reply to #30944)

Executive Member

dal1966 - 20/10/2008 00:00

The problem was not only with Davina on the final night but also with the male presenter of the podcast internet radio show big ears. The things he was saying about Rachel was unbelievable. He's words were on the line of Rachel, how did she win.
He was extremely rude and desrespectful. So the problem is not just only with Davina the problem seems to be with everybody that is connected with the show.
I complained along with many thousands of other people to channel 4 , but the response that we all got back was one carefully drafted document. The reply was a complete joke, in simple terms it basicly said that thay did not want to know.
I'm not surprised that they are losing viewers every year.

Faker # 1154

Yes, I don't think Iain Lee was a fan

At the end of the day, it's the nature of comedians to be irreverant. When their comments are at the expense of people we don't like we love it and when they are at the expense of people we like we get offended by it. Given that every housemate will have their legion of fans it's pretty much inevitable that a comedian will upset somebody whatever he says so I guess they just take the view that most people will see the funny side and those that don't will just have to lump it.

I'm sure all the people that Grace Dent was scathing about have loved ones who were every bit as outraged by her comments while the rest of us were cheering her on. The alternative would have been to make the column bland and uninteresting.

I wasn't at all pleased by Iain's comments and I'm not a big fan of Iain either but I can understand it. He's just doing his job and if he didn't see what we saw in Rachel then that's his loss

Regards

Julian
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread