Doesn't anyone know how to pronounce wrath?
Julian
Posted 3/7/2007 00:28 (#18237)
Subject: Doesn't anyone know how to pronounce wrath?

Executive Member

Ok, I forgave Dermot. Then I forgave the caller on BBLB. Then I raised an eyebrow when the first BB pronounced it wrong talking to Carole. Carole pronounced it wrong. Then the BB talking to Charley pronounced it wrong and then Charley pronounced it wrong. So far, I don't think I've heard anyone pronounce 'wrath' properly on the show

You would think with a task devoted to the thing someone would have noticed the correct way to pronounce the word 'wrath'

It was almost as funny as when, a few years back, Davina joked about how one of the producers had the strange idea that furore had three syllables rather than two

I'd have loved to see what BB would have done if someone had corrected them in the diary room

Regards

Julian
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ofni
Posted 3/7/2007 00:50 (#18239 - in reply to #18237)
Subject: Re: Doesn't anyone know how to pronounce wrath?

It's all down to John Wayne as Genghis Khan.

http://www.amazon.ca/Conqueror-Dick-Powell/dp/6300183122
emptybox
Posted 3/7/2007 01:31 (#18240 - in reply to #18237)
Subject: RE: Doesn't anyone know how to pronounce wrath?

Julian - 3/7/2007 00:28 Ok, I forgave Dermot. Then I forgave the caller on BBLB. Then I raised an eyebrow when the first BB pronounced it wrong talking to Carole. Carole pronounced it wrong. Then the BB talking to Charley pronounced it wrong and then Charley pronounced it wrong. So far, I don't think I've heard anyone pronounce 'wrath' properly on the show You would think with a task devoted to the thing someone would have noticed the correct way to pronounce the word 'wrath' It was almost as funny as when, a few years back, Davina joked about how one of the producers had the strange idea that furore had three syllables rather than two I'd have loved to see what BB would have done if someone had corrected them in the diary room Regards Julian

Ooh ooh! Please sir, I can pronounce it.

Furore does have three syllables, doesn't it?   (according to my dictionary, anyway)

harvestgoddess
Posted 3/7/2007 10:34 (#18253 - in reply to #18240)

Executive Member

I think julian should be given the job of being the bb spokesman you know who talks to the people in the diary room they could learn a thing or two from him :D
premierscfc
Posted 3/7/2007 10:47 (#18254 - in reply to #18237)

It's a good job salt is not one of the seven deadly sins then.   That would be a thread that would run and run.
Julian
Posted 3/7/2007 12:44 (#18262 - in reply to #18240)

Executive Member

emptybox - 3/7/2007 01:31

Ooh ooh! Please sir, I can pronounce it.

Furore does have three syllables, doesn't it?   (according to my dictionary, anyway)

Yes it does! Davina was so sure it had two syllables that she started the eviction show making fun of the person in the production meeting who had suggested it had three

Regards

Julian
becki
Posted 3/7/2007 16:29 (#18290 - in reply to #18237)

Executive Member

I was well buzzing last night coz in feb, i was in a show about the seven deadly sins...and guess which sin i was?!!! WRATH!! wayyyyyyyy!!xxxx
emptybox
Posted 3/7/2007 18:33 (#18343 - in reply to #18290)

becki - 3/7/2007 16:29 I was well buzzing last night coz in feb, i was in a show about the seven deadly sins...and guess which sin i was?!!! WRATH!! wayyyyyyyy!!xxxx

Wrath? I can't believe that of you Becki.
How were you pronouncing that?

becki
Posted 3/7/2007 19:34 (#18359 - in reply to #18343)

Executive Member

emptybox - 3/7/2007 18:33

becki - 3/7/2007 16:29 I was well buzzing last night coz in feb, i was in a show about the seven deadly sins...and guess which sin i was?!!! WRATH!! wayyyyyyyy!!xxxx

Wrath? I can't believe that of you Becki.
How were you pronouncing that?

Lmao!! Well, ya gotta play allsorts of characters when your an actress!!
I just pronounce warth as its spelt, not like they were saying it on bb last night obviously!! lmao.xxxx
emptybox
Posted 3/7/2007 19:42 (#18360 - in reply to #18237)

I was always taught it should be pronounced more like "ROTH", but if you go here and click the little speaker symbol, they have other ideas, but then it is an American voice.
becki
Posted 3/7/2007 19:58 (#18364 - in reply to #18360)

Executive Member

emptybox - 3/7/2007 19:42

I was always taught it should be pronounced more like "ROTH", but if you go here and click the little speaker symbol, they have other ideas, but then it is an American voice.

Just went on that link and thats how i said it!! lmao!! Wayyyyy, it might be wrong but oh well!! It sounds right!xxxx
boldjohn
Posted 3/7/2007 20:04 (#18366 - in reply to #18237)

Executive Member

Julian - 3/7/2007 00:28

Ok, I forgave Dermot. Then I forgave the caller on BBLB. Then I raised an eyebrow when the first BB pronounced it wrong talking to Carole. Carole pronounced it wrong. Then the BB talking to Charley pronounced it wrong and then Charley pronounced it wrong. So far, I don't think I've heard anyone pronounce 'wrath' properly on the show

You would think with a task devoted to the thing someone would have noticed the correct way to pronounce the word 'wrath'

It was almost as funny as when, a few years back, Davina joked about how one of the producers had the strange idea that furore had three syllables rather than two

I'd have loved to see what BB would have done if someone had corrected them in the diary room

Regards

Julian

That would have been a giggle, even if such an act incurred the wrath (or rath) of Big Brother.
Julian
Posted 3/7/2007 20:35 (#18375 - in reply to #18360)

Executive Member

emptybox - 3/7/2007 19:42

I always pronounced it "roth" but my dictionary has two options:

roth (with the 'o' as in hot) or rawth with the 'aw' as in 'saw'. The first one is the most common, apparently.

It does mention the Old English derivation which is pronounced the way BB are doing it (with the 'a' as in 'cat') but that's just a technicality

Regards

Julian